By Kindergarten, children will be asked to classify objects into given categories; count the numbers of objects in each category and sort the categories by count.
Have your preschooler step outside to see all of the glorious colors of nature. As you find different items, place the objects in the box according color.
Like most collection activities, your preschooler may fill the box, and then dump the box. Do not let this discourage you. Play based learning does not need to have a specific ending point. If your preschooler dumps the box, and is finished, then you can revisit it at a later date.
Extensions for your preschooler:
- count the objects
- compare which object has more or less
- google the images to discover the names of what you found
- rip the plants in half to practice matching them back
- place paper over the plants and rub a crayon to imprint on paper
- watercolor what your preschooler has found
- make a map of where each plant came from