Let it Roll!
Do you use ribbon? Do you know someone that does? Save the roll, and let it roll!
Our world is always moving. Our preschoolers are always investigating. Put the two together and discover what makes objects move. How do they change direction? What will stop and speed objects up?
By Kindergarten, children will be required to ask and answer questions in order to seek help, get information, or clarify something that is not understood. This activity requires preschoolers to seek information, clarify what is movement and the better test projectile movement.
Projectile movement is any object that when dropped or thrown continues in motion through its own inaction and is only influenced by the pull of gravity. (Definition taken from Loose Parts)
Ways to Enhance this Activity:
- Use different surfaces
- Use different inclines
- Use different amounts of force
- Compare the difference between a ball and ribbon spool
- See if you can race the spool
- Include ramps for higher heights
- Take objects indoors and outdoors
- Find beams to practice rolling with precision