What To Do with All That Left Over Ribbon
Inside: Preschool indoor math game for measurement
Who here has wrapped a present in the last 10 days?
Used ribbon around the tree?
How about tied a bow around the mantel?
My guess is just about all of you are nodding your head yes.
Am I right?
Well fear not, I have a brilliant preschool indoor math game to practice measurement with all the extra scraps of ribbon.
...and guess what? This preschool math game also makes a wonderful Breakfast Invitation.
Breakfast Invitations are simple to set up and most materials are ones you already own. (SCORE!)
Who doesn't need a couple tricks up their sleeve this winter break?!
This Preschool Set Up is So Simple:
(contains Amazon Affiliate Links)
The Night Before:
- Begin by cutting a couple different strips of ribbon in various lengths. Be sure to have each length different from the rest.
- Draw a line on the paper to match each ribbon.
- Set all ribbon aside. I like to use the top of an egg carton as a placeholder.
The Breakfast Invitation:
- Allow your preschooler to take some time investigating what the set up is asking them to do.
- Prompt if needed. "I wonder if any of these ribbons are the same length as the lines." "How could we tell if the line and the ribbon are the same lengths?" "Are all the ribbons the same length?" "Let's take a look."
- Allow your preschooler to begin matching the ribbon to the lines shown.
- REMEMBER: it is important to guide your preschooler to the start of the line. This preschool math activity will begin to introduce concepts of measurement and ruler placement.
What's the BIG Idea?
By Kindergarten, children will be asked to describe measurable attributes of objects, such as length or weight. Describe several measurable attributes of a single object.
Students will also be asked to directly compare two objects with a measurable attribute in common, to see which object has "more of"/"less of" the attribute, and describe the difference.
You can begin to introduce some of these concepts now on a preschool level!
Now, who wants more Preschool Activities? You will love these Activity Cards.
REMINDER! This is the LAST week to place orders for on-time Christmas delivery.
When will you try this and other preschool math activities?